The Lie Detector Test.
Answer 9: Tom is the thief!
Here is the question again: “During lunch, 5 of Mr. Bryant’s students visit the supermarket. One of the 5, stole an apple.
Jim said: it was Hank or Tom. Hank said: neither Eddie or I did it. Tom Said: you’re both lying. Don said: no one of them is lying, the other is speaking the truth.
Eddie said: no Don, that’s not true.
When the shop owner asked Mr. Bryant, he said that three of the boys are always truthful, but two lie all the time.
So – who stole the apple?”
Let’s work it out.
- Don and Eddie contradict each other which means one of them must be a liar.
- One of the remaining boys must also be lying (there are 2 liars).
- Tom has said ‘you’re both lying’ about the two other remaining boys (Jim and Hank), but there can only be one liar, so it must be him.
- Jim and Hank are both telling the truth so it can’t be Eddie or Hank who stole the apple.
- Tom must have stolen the apple.
(I was suspicious about Jim at first, but if you read carefully, Jim said it was Hank OR Tom – so he’s not actually contradicting Hank’s words).
Jim, Hank and Eddie are telling the truth. Don and Tom are the liars.